The main goal of The Seven Principles Couples Workshop is to help couples strengthen the relationship in a variety of ways including deepening their love maps, fostering fondness and admiration, facilitating turning towards each other, acceptance influence, solving solvable problems, overcoming gridlock, creating share meaning, and maintaining gains.
Benefits of participating in the workshop
- It provides structure motivation and accountability to continue working through the 7 principles book.
- It is encouraging to work with other couples who are working on improving their relationship.
- Less threatening than therapy as fits into the enrichment model that couples may be familiar with. It can also become a bridge into therapy for those couples that desire more personal assistance than the class can provide.
- Helps couples clearly defined and articulate goals, expectations, structure, and duration for working on their relationship
- Encourages both partners to work on their relationship together.
- Provides a great opportunity for premarital couples to learn the skills that can enrich their relationship through a lifetime together.
Frequently asked questions
- Couples contemplating engagement
- Premarital couples
- Couples living together
- Couples who have been together or married for decades
- Couples with severe relationship distress
- Significant emotional or physical abuse
- Serious emotional or mental health problems
- Relationships where one or both partners are actively addicted to drugs or alcohol, in relationships with serious compulsive behaviors.
No. That class does not include sharing problems or issues publicly. Couples’ exercises are done privately.
Since the class includes couples doing exercises together, both partners must participate. If the class is over a period of time in one partner must miss a particular class meeting, then the other partner is encouraged to attend the lecture portion of the class. He or she may use the couples exercise time to do part of the exercises and then do the full exercise with the partner later. They may also use exercise time to read the seven principles book.
Yes, still come to the class. While the book provides very valuable information, the class lectures will summarize the content of the book. Each person will need a Couple of Guide, however, to do the Couples Exercises effectively.
The class will involve doing some of the exercises from the book so doing them first at home will duplicate some of them. In some cases, the directions for doing the exercises in the class have been revised and updated from those presented in the Seven Principles Book. The leaders also role-play how-to and how-not-to do some of the exercises in order to help participants get the most out of each exercise. There are some exercises in the book that the class will not have time to do, and couples are encouraged to do them at home after the chapter has been covered in class.
We will be happy to refer you to one of our therapists to work with you and your partner to meet your specific needs.
For more information on upcoming workshops please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org